Understanding Autism in Montreal

The way you feel is perfectly normal. Rest assured that we will guide you through the evaluation process. At the end you will know what the difficulties are and receive recommendations for interventions. We are experienced clinicians. Although we specialize in autism, we are trained and equipped to assess many other types of difficulties. If you have concerns, give us a call.

Talk to your child’s pediatrician about your concerns and make sure he has an opportunity to observe your child. You can ask to complete a screening questionnaire (M-CHAT-R/F). You can also complete this questionnaire yourself: http://mchatscreen.com.

If you have the impression your child can’t hear you or doesn’t respond to you, one of the first things to do is to schedule a hearing (audiology) test for your child.

Remember that many developmental issues are a cause for concern, and that you know your child best. Although some behaviors and minor delays are temporary, others need to be evaluated promptly in order to be addressed appropriately. Difficulties do not dissipate on their own when they are a part of Autism or Developmental Disabilities.



Wait list for intensive services in public services: Although within public services, readaptation centers (or CRDI) have the mandate of offering early intensive interventions to children diagnosed with autism, there are currently not enough resources to offer that service in a timely manner. Wait list times often vary around 18 months (call your local CRDI to find out). This is worrisome when taking into consideration the fact that intensive services are only offered until the age of 5 and many children are only diagnosed around the age of 3, thereby leaving very little intensive intervention-time left. The earlier a diagnosis is placed, the earlier a child is eligible for public services.

Many private centers offer early intensive behavioral interventions. We recommend that you choose a service center that uses programs that are recognized and where the efficacy is proven.


Putting adaptations in place at home: Many parents are understandably frustrated by their child’s difficulty to understand them, to express their needs, or to better cope with transitions. There are many changes that can be put in place in order to help an autistic child progress. Without a proper diagnosis, it is more difficult for parents to understand what the problem is and therefore what to do to help.



Making daycare and the transition to school easier: changes between activities, ability to follow routines, group instructions, completion and interest in pre-school tasks are often challenging for these children. Entry into kindergarten can be particularly difficult.Several interventions and adaptations can make a big difference and help a child transition with ease.


We usually don’t require a referral in order to proceed. However, some insurance companies do request one in order to cover psychological services. Please check with your insurance company.

Most public services (CLSC, CIUSSS, CRDI’s and schools) request a diagnostic report as well as any past pertinent testing. Provincial and Federal tax credits request the same, including the evaluation of adaptive behavior (mandatory).

See our Services tab for more information.


At this time, we accept cheques or cash. There is a Royal Bank and a Scotia Bank on Queen Mary very close to the office. Please note that through the evaluation process, a payment is requested at the end of each meeting, covering for direct services (meetings) as well as indirect services (data analysis, report writing etc.). – Read our Procedure section (Services) for more information.

Most private insurances cover psychological services. Please contact them directly in order to find out the details of their coverage (maximum per session / per year / per person). Any amounts that are not covered by private insurance can be tax deductible under medical expenses. Note also that in case a diagnosis of ASD or ID is confirmed, you or your child may be eligible for tax credits and supplements that are usually retroactive.